We ask applicants to complete a MD, DO or equivalent medical degree prior to the start date of the residency.
Program applicants are required to show evidence of academic excellence, clinical interest in the field of psychiatry, a high level of professionalism, high ethical standards, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, potential for successful completion of the residency program, and potential for the practice of medicine within the U.S. healthcare system by the following:
Graduate from a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) accredited medical school within the past five years;
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (dean’s letter) attesting to these qualities;
- Passage of USMLE Step 1 and/or COMLEX Level 1 (within two attempts);
- Passage of USMLE Step 2 CK and CS and/or COMLEX Level 2 (within two attempts).
Graduates of medical schools within the past five years, not accredited by the LCME or AOA, must also:
- Be eligible for medical licensure in the state of Michigan.
- Foreign applicants must be permanent residents or eligible for a J-1 visa.
- Be ECFMG certified.
- Have at least one month of U.S. clinical experience.