Reclaim Your Life: How to Manage Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can affect the decisions you make and the very quality of your life. It can impact your ability to function and cause you to lose control of your pain.
This 12-week group program will help you learn to manage your pain and regain control over your quality of life.
The group is open to anyone who is interested in support and education. New members may start any week. The group reviews topics in order and at the end of a 12-week cycle, starts over on the same topics.
Participants can purchase a copy of The Pain Survival Guide available online and in bookstores.
The main topics are:
- What is chronic pain and the two medical philosophies of pain management
- Pacing: assessing daily needs and functioning through personal inventory
- Coping skills and tools
- Exercise, massage and chronic pain: increasing strength and flexibility in spite of chronic pain
- Managing moods: how to deal with depression associated with chronic pain
- Managing moods: dealing with anxiety associated with chronic pain
- The spiritual side: answering the questions “Why me?” and “Why do I have to suffer?”
- Emotional and physical boundaries: making good decisions
- Identifying and replacing self-defeating thoughts around emotional and physical limits
- Relaxation and mindfulness skills
- Self worth: creating and maintaining trustworthiness in relating to self and others
- Creating an atmosphere of hope when struggling with chronic pain
Dates, times and cost vary by location. Insurance is accepted, although co-pays may apply. To find current classes, please visit our Events section and search by group/class name or type of event.