Postpartum Depression & Anxiety
for spouses and partners
Taking Care of Yourself
One parent’s PMAD affects everyone in the family including the spouse or partner. It’s essential to practice good self-care in order to stay healthy and be available for your partner and children. Here are some suggestions:
- Be kind to yourself by setting reasonable expectations.
- Ask for help, information and support for yourself.
- Develop a supportive circle for your family. Say yes when others offer to help.
- Realize helping her/him adjust to the new baby may increase the strength of your relationship.
- Take time for yourselves other than at work. Continue to follow some of your own interests.
- Be aware of your own needs for sleep, healthy eating, exercise, etc.
- Keep the lines of communication open between you.
- Verbalize your feelings instead of distancing from her/him.
- Take a break if tempers are hot and resume discussion later.
- Find someone to talk to besides your partner.
- Do not blame yourself.
- Do not try to fix this alone.