For Spouses and Partners: Taking Care of Yourself
One parent’s PMAD affects everyone in the family including the spouse or partner. It’s essential to practice good self-care in order to stay healthy and be available for your partner and children. Here are some suggestions:
• Be kind to yourself by setting reasonable expectations.
• Ask for help, information and support for yourself.
• Develop a supportive circle for your family. Say yes when others offer to help.
• Realize helping her/him adjust to the new baby may increase the strength of your relationship.
• Take time for yourselves other than at work. Continue to follow some of your own interests.
• Be aware of your own needs for sleep, healthy eating, exercise, etc.
• Keep the lines of communication open between you.
• Verbalize your feelings instead of distancing from her/him.
• Take a break if tempers are hot and resume discussion later.
• Find someone to talk to besides your partner.
• Do not blame yourself.
• Do not try to fix this alone.