Reducing Risk of Dementia
While some risk factors such as genetics or age cannot be changed, other lifestyle changes, including healthy eating habits, regular exercise and smoking cessation, can minimize risks. Taking prescription medications to reduce cholesterol levels and blood pressure is also important.
- Keep mentally active. Read, do puzzles or learn a new skill.
- Keep physically active.
- Maintain a heart healthy diet, like the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) or the Mediterranean diet.
- Get enough sleep. Seek treatment for insomnia and sleep apnea
- Develop new hobbies.
- Avoid excessive alcohol use.
- Quit smoking.
- Have an active social life.
- Practice good stress management.
- Manage your blood pressure.
- Protect your head. Wear a seatbelt in the car and a helmet when participating in sports.
- Seek treatment if you have depression, anxiety or other mental health condition.