Psychiatry Residency & Fellowships
Why Grand Rapids
Why Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids and the surrounding West Michigan area offers a friendly, welcoming community for families as well as singles and couples. Residents can enjoy both the vibrant downtown with plenty of museums, restaurants, theater, nightlife and festivals, as well as beautiful rural landscapes and peaceful suburbs with easy access to miles of beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline. There's always something for everyone!
The Liveable City
The city of Grand Rapids features a bustling downtown with many restaurants, nightclubs, theaters, museums and sports venues in a renewed and thriving downtown (www.HelloWestMichigan.com). Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine is also located in downtown Grand Rapids, joining more than two dozen other colleges and universities that call West Michigan home.
Key industries in the local community include:
- And many more
Housing is very affordable and there are excellent school districts in the immediate area.
The beaches of Lake Michigan are only a 40 minute drive away from Grand Rapids. West Michigan is home to numerous natural wonders including swimming, golfing, boating, biking and sightseeing.
There are also cultural opportunities such as ArtPrize which engages the whole community. We believe that our staff and residents should enjoy a balanced life as well as a comprehensive education, and be a part of this welcoming environment. Here are a few of the latest headlines about the great things happening in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We invite you to see it for yourself!
- Grand Rapids ranks 20th best place to live in America; 2nd in Michigan (U.S. News, 2023)
- Grand Rapids named one of the best places to live in the country (U.S. News & World Report, 2022-23)
- #1 – Best Places to Raise a Family (Rocket Homes)
- #2 – Most Beautiful & Affordable Places to Live in the U.S. (Travel + Leisure)
- #21 – Top 100 Places To Live (Livability.com, 2020)
- #6 – 25 Best Affordable Places to Live in the U.S. (US News & World Report, 2019)
Grand Rapids Events & Resources
- Hello West Michigan – Information on relocating to West Michigan
- Experience Grand Rapids – Things to do, places to see and more in West Michigan
- GR Now – A great site with restaurants, events and local entertainment
- Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce – Businesses, events and life in Grand Rapids
- The Right Place – Economic development corporation for West Michigan
- West Michigan Tourist Association – Travel, lodging and vacation ideas
- Grand Rapids Association of Realtors – Homes for sale and more information about living in West Michigan
- 2021 Best of Grand Rapids Readers’ Poll
Gerald R. Ford International Airport – Offering 100+ nonstop daily flights