For centuries, faith traditions have combined these two common, everyday human actions as a means for caring for oneself and getting through tense times.
Here is a simple form of breathing prayer that you can do at your work station, in your home, while standing in line at the grocery store … anywhere!
Deep Breathing Prayer Technique
- Close your eyes or softly gaze at the floor.
- Slowly inhale through your nose.
- Now slowly exhale through your mouth.
- Repeat several times. Notice the stillness you are experiencing.
- Select a word that expresses what you need from yourself, such as: “Patience”, “Focus,” “Help,” or “Calm.” Say this word each time you breathe in. Allow yourself to receive this gift.
- Select a word that expresses your frustration or struggle, such as: “Anger,” “Fear,” “Disappointment.” Say this word each time you breathe out. Allow yourself to let go of this pressure.
- Repeat the above steps several times. Allow the breath of life to nourish you.
- When you are ready, return to your tasks and breathe a prayer for those around you.
Thanks be to God for the strength and faith we find within ourselves during life’s challenging moments!