Certain medical conditions can also lead to an anxiety disorder. In many cases, the anxiety might be the first indication that a medical illness exists, especially if the anxiety develops suddenly in a person with no prior history of anxiety or family history of anxiety disorders. Symptoms include general anxiety symptoms as well as panic attacks.
A number of medical conditions are known to include anxiety as a symptom, including:
- Endocrine diseases (i.e., hyperthyroidism, hypoglycemia)
- Cardiovascular disorders (i.e., congestive heart failure, atrial fibrillation)
- Respiratory illnesses (i.e., asthma, pneumonia)
- Metabolic disturbances (i.e., vitamin B12 deficiency, porphyria)
- Neurological illnesses (i.e., encephalitis, seizure disorders)
We are here for you! Pine Rest provides compassionate, world-class treatment for anxiety at all care levels and for all ages.