Inpatient Services | Services
Older Adult Inpatient Services
Call Us 24/7
A licensed clinician will help you determine the appropriate level of care.
Older Adult Inpatient Services
Growing older is a natural part of life. Advancing age may bring a loss of independence and declining physical abilities. Both are factors in the special mental health needs of older adults. At Pine Rest, we have a complete assessment program for older adults and significant experience with successful treatment.
We provide the full continuum of individualized care, offered in a comfortable, supportive environment. We believe in preserving and encouraging independence, coupled with care that is safe and practical for each individual. Average length of stay is 15 to 20 days.
Our specialty services include treatment for dementia, depression and anxiety, as well as medication management.
Families often suffer along with their older relatives, and part of our program is designed especially for those who provide care on a daily basis. We offer a support group aimed at building an understanding of the changes in loved ones, learning what to expect, and how to develop coping skills.
Housed in Building C, the Van Andel • Cook Center for Dementia & Geriatric Behavioral Health on the Pine Rest campus at 300 68th Street SE, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The Rapid Route 10 comes through the Pine Rest Cutlerville campus. The stop is located just across from our Retreat Clinic (Building B). View the stop on our map.
Our older adult inpatient unit has capacity for 26 patient beds and includes a distinct close observation wing with 10 private patient rooms, allowing for separation of patients by capability. There are larger rooms for group activities and dining, as well as improved safety features.
Older Adult Unit Features
- Living space for patients to move about safely
- Individual shadow boxes by bedrooms for way finding and holding personal effects
- Large rooms for group activities and dining
- Integrated nurse call and bed alarm system for better patient safety
- Custom furniture both suited for older adults and optimized for behavioral health
- Optimally placed nursing station for better monitoring of unit
Sensory room, a best practice for reducing patient’s anxiety or agitation
- A distinct close observation area with 10 patient rooms, allowing for increased monitoring and separation of patients by functional ability
- Secured entryway, sally port and improved safety features throughout unit
Four consultation rooms for doctors and clinicians to meet with patients and families
- Dedicated walking path within unit with benches and artwork
- Occupational therapy room to work on independent living skills
- Large courtyard with walking path and opportunity for therapeutic gardening / sensory experiences
- Multiple televisions and audio visual equipment to facilitate teaching and relaxation
- White noise and music integration to provide greater noise control and improve the therapeutic environment
Call 616.455.9200 or 800.678.5500. TTY line available at 616.281.6446.