Substance Use Disorder: Insights Magazine
There are more deaths, illness, and disabilities due to alcohol and drug use than any other preventable health condition. Nearly one in four deaths can be attributed to alcohol, tobacco, or illicit drug use, and substance use disorder is linked to a variety of health problems.
What needs to be more widely told is that addiction is a disease of the brain, not a moral weakness or shortcoming. And because it is a disease, treatment is possible and even effective!
In This Issue…
- The Addiction Epidemic
- Addiction: A Physician’s Perspective
- The Continuum of Care for Patients with Substance Use Disorders in the New Millennium
- Alcohol and Other Drug Classifications and Effects
- What happens at various levels of Blood Alcohol Content (BAC)
- Substance use disorders most often treated by age
- Information for Family Members
- The Role of Twelve Step Support Groups in Recovery