There are more deaths, illness, and disabilities due to alcohol and drug use than any other preventable health condition. Nearly one in four deaths can be attributed to alcohol, tobacco, or illicit drug use, and substance use disorder is linked to a variety of health problems including cancer, cardiovascular disease, cirrhosis, dementia, depression, gout, infectious diseases, pancreatitis and seizures.
Substance use is also linked to poorer performance on the job or at school, difficulty in keeping a job and relationship problems. As usage increases, so does the likelihood of being involved in a traffic or workplace accident, legal and financial troubles, violence, crime and homelessness.
One in four Americans will have an alcohol or other drug problem at some point in their lives.
The number of persons with a substance use disorder in the United States holds steady at about 15 to 20 million. In 2012, an estimated 20.7 million American adults needed treatment for substance use, and among those, 40.7% (or 8.4 million) had a co-occurring mental illness. (SAMHSA)
We’ve gathered the following information, tips, videos and resources to help you learn more about substance use disorder and addition, and find the support and care that you or loved one needs.
Articles from Substance Use Disorder: Insights Magazine
- Addiction: A Physician’s Perspective, Bruce Springer, MD
- What happens at various levels of Blood Alcohol Content (BAC), compiled by Jon Weeldreyer, MA, LLP, CA
- The Continuum of Care for Patients with Substance Use Disorders in the New Millennium, Jon Weeldreyer, MA, LLP, CAAC, CCS-M
- Alcohol and Other Drug Classifications and Effects, Jon Weeldreyer, MA, LLP, CAC
- Info for Family Members, Jon Weeldreyer, MA, LLP, CAC
- The Role of Twelve Step Support Groups in Recovery, Larry Vander Plaats, MSW, CAC+
Pine Rest Services
Pine Rest offers a full continuum of services that range from residential detoxification to traditional outpatient services. All of the service components in the continuum welcome those who also have mental health disorders. We believe that there should be no wrong door for individuals to access substance use disorder treatment.
With one call to 866.852.4001 we can guide you through the process of inquiry, assessment and admission to the most appropriate level of care. We will assist you with understanding your insurance benefit, help you understand what other sources of funding might be available and qualify you or your loved one for treatment.
- Hospitalization: The new Redwood Unit specializes in integrated treatment for those with a mental health diagnosis and a substance use disorder
*Please note: You are leaving the Pine Rest Website when you click on these links.