The Van Andel • Cook Center for Dementia & Geriatric Behavioral Health creates a continuum of services for seniors that includes an older adult inpatient unit along with outpatient services such as neuropsychological evaluation, memory disorder assessment and treatment recommendations, as well as diagnosis and treatment for the often complicated cognitive and behavioral health concerns faced by seniors.
The inpatient unit has capacity for 26 patient beds. The unit includes a distinct close observation wing with 10 private patient rooms, allowing for separation of patients by capability. There are larger rooms for group activities and dining, as well as improved safety features.
The center is home to many Pine Rest services. In addition to the inpatient hospitalization unit, outpatient services include assessment, diagnosis and treatment for the often complicated cognitive and behavioral health concerns faced by seniors. Offering services in one location affords greater opportunity for collaboration between providers to assure continuity of care. The Older Adult inpatient unit provides specialized service plans for all adults 65 and older regardless of functional level.
• More space for patients to move about safely
• Individual shadow boxes by bedrooms for way finding and holding personal effects
• Larger rooms for group activities and dining
• Integrated nurse call and bed alarm system for better patient safety
• Custom furniture not only for older adults but for behavioral health safety as well
• Optimally placed nursing station for better monitoring of unit
• Sensory room, a best practice for reducing patient’s anxiety or agitation
• A distinct close observation area with 10 patient rooms, allowing for increased monitoring and separation of patients by functional ability
• Secured entryway, sally port, and improved safety features throughout unit
• Four consultation rooms for doctors and clinicians to meet with patients and families
• Dedicated walking path within unit with benches and artwork
• More natural light with addition of two large sky lights
• Occupational therapy room to work on independent living skills
• Large courtyard with walking path and opportunity for therapeutic gardening / sensory experiences
• Multiple televisions and audio visual equipment to facilitate teaching and relaxation
• White noise and music integration to provide greater noise control and improve the therapeutic environment