Pine Rest has been an accredited location for Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) training since 1970.
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education
1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103
Decatur, GA 30033 (404) 320-1472 www.acpe.edu
CPE is a professional, experienced based education program, which allows each participant to develop their own pastoral leadership and ministry skills. The program is open to pastors, chaplains, seminary students, and lay persons.
- Since 1970, Pine Rest's CPE program has served nearly 900 seminarians, pastors, chaplains, and parish nurses.
- Pine Rest offers Level I and Level II training. Specific level objectives are available at the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Website.
- Participants can take multiple units of CPE training through Pine Rest as they work toward certification as professional chaplains.
- Pine Rest CPE students have come from across the United States, North and Central America, Europe, Africa, and Asia.
- CPE student interns can complete their training at their own ministry location, at Pine Rest, or at Pine Rest’s partner location, Saint Mary’s Health Care.
- CPE Interns placed at Pine Rest are fully integrated into the treatment programs and provide spiritual care for patients and staff. Pine Rest's CPE program is accredited through the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education. 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103 Decatur, GA 30033-4611 Phone: (404) 320-1472, Fax: (404) 320-0849, website: www.acpe.edu, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical Pastoral Education includes Pastoral Reflection, Pastoral Formation and Pastoral Competence. Pastoral Specialization may also be an option.
The program is designed to train participants in pastoral care ministry through:
- Active engagement in ministry
- Reflection on pastoral experience
- Assimilation of learning into ongoing ministry
- Exploration of personal and pastoral identity
- Examination of attitudes, values and assumptions
- Reflections on relationships in ministry
Opportunities for clinical reflections occur in group settings, individual supervision and seminars with professionals from other disciplines.
Pine Rest CPE Student Interns represent a diverse, broad range of denominations, including:
• Reformed Church of America • Christian Reformed Church • Baptist • Roman Catholic
• United Church of Christ • Episcopal • Lutheran Church of America • Evangelical Presbyterian
• Pentecostal • Non-Denominational • Church of God • Presbyterian • 7th Day Adventist
• United Methodist • Evangelical Covenant • Independent Free Church of America
• Disciple of Christ • Episcopal • Wesleyan
Here is what some Pine Rest CPE Students have to say about the program.
“I don’t know how I would ever have been able to complete 20 years of inner city type ministry without having gone through the CPE course. The classroom education, the practical application, the fellowship of staff and other students were extremely invaluable to me in my responsibilities as a pastor, but equally so as a husband and father.”
“CPE is one of the best educational opportunities I have found in and for my ministry development both personally and professionally. I have grown so much through this process of CPE. I feel that I am becoming the minister God called me to be—whole and holy. I hope that more Catholic lay ministers would take at least one unit as part of their ongoing formation in ministry.”